Double Indemnity. F*** Yeah!

Fred MacMurray has successfully become one of my new favorite people. Aside from the whole being investigated, shot at, and eventual death, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t mind being this guy. For starters, he knows how to talk to women. If I could just walk up to some dame and say, “I’m crazy about you, baby.”, in that awesome, fast-paced 50’s dialect, I would indeed be a boss. A baller, even. At the very least, I would be a really cool guy. For…finishers, he had a super sweet hat.

In any case, now that I’ve down-played my actual persona enough, I can comment (or post, rather) on the movie itself. The best way I can describe Double Indemnity is smart. The storyline was solid and the acting was fantastic, I think. I grew a little tired of Edward G. Robison talking about the little man inside of him, but that could just be because I didn’t really like the analogy and so it would bother me every time it was brought up. Barbara Stanwyck was awesome, again, and this movie will have indeed pushed me to seek out more of her movies after seeing her in two so far.

As far as the plot goes, this movie had me thinking that this was actually a pretty air tight scheme. Disregarding the fact that this is the second time I’ve seen this movie, and the other fact that I think Phyllis would have shot Walter even if the plan was completely successful, I was thinking they might actually get away with it. I also love the idea that this film plays with your moral center in that, in the end, you’re not sure who you’re happy or sad for (for me anyway). Throughout the first part of the film, I was rooting for this plan to be successful, even though it was a murder plot for financial gain. Heck, even after Walter was near the end of his confession I was still kinda sad that it didn’t work out. Silly directors…messing with my emotions. Meh.

All in all, in an age where I’ve been trained to enjoy movies with rampant gunfire, loud explosions, shiny science-y things, and scantily clad women, I’m happy to know that a movie shot in black and white, and made in 1944 has the ability to make me want to watch it again.